Ideally you need a clear space of at least 18/20 inches on as many sides as possible. Not only does it help with access but also any treatment and maintenance your shed/summerhouse might need in the future. Make sure any overhang on the roof fits inside your measured area too.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Often the size of the space available dictates the size of the structure. We offer a great range of sizes to suit every space. If you are going to use it as a party room think about the size of the table or furniture you want to put in it. If it’s going to be a home office, think about what needs to go in there and are you going to need space for meetings.

Tanalising is a pressure treatment. It’s a lifetime treatment and it perfect for exposed or high traffic buildings. The preservative is forced into the timber under pressure and penetrates below the surface, whereas all other treatments apply a coat of stain to the surface of the timber only. Our tantalised buildings are not coloured but slightly darker than the untreated wood.

Shiplap is a traditional cladding profile used in summerhouses and sheds. Shiplap features interlocking tongue and groove boards. It’s designed to ensure that rainwater drains away quickly and stops the rain getting in through the cladding joints.

No, all our garden buildings include installation in the cost. That way we can make sure that everything is right at the time of installation and it reduces any future problems.

The first treatment is also included in the cost. We will paint or stain your shed/summerhouse for you so you know it’s protected from the start. Depending on the position and the finish, you may need to retreat it in a few years. See our blog on maintaining your summerhouse to find out more.

Yes you can. We can insulate your buildings walls and roof. Speak to us when you order to find out more.

I most cases summerhouses are covered under permitted development rules. See our blog Planning permission for a summerhouse for more details. You should also check with your local council planning department in case of any building restrictions in your area like listing or protected areas.

Yes, although for safety reasons we recommend that you consult an approved electrician first. Since January 1st 2005 all electrical work must be completed in accordance with IEE wiring regulations and BS 7671 and should be completed by an operator who is approved under the Part P Electrical Competent Person Scheme.